Monday 10 September 2012

NFF top guns salute Eaglets!

...as victorious team returns Monday

Golden Eaglets squad poses for a group photograph before taking on the Junior Menas of Niger on Saturday
Principal members of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) in Niamey at the weekend hailed the sparkling performance of the self-styled New Nigeria Golden Eaglets following their 4-1 defeat of Junior Menas of Niger in the 2013 African Under-17 Youth Championship qualifier played on Saturday.
On a day the National Under-20 Women’s team faltered  in their Bronze medal match at the FIFA World Cup in Japan and the Super Eagles less hard-earned 2-2 draw  in Monrovia, the Golden Eaglets gave Nigerians and indeed, NFF officials on their entourage to Niamey something to cheer about with their near flawless display.
 “The truth is that we have heard and read so much about the new Golden Eaglets but this is  the first time  I’m seen this team and I’m truly delighted about your performance today(Saturday),” said Alhaji Muazu Suleiman, a board member of the NFF and leader of the delegation to Niamey.“
This is the best Under-17 team I have seen in recent years. We would use this as the prototype for Nigerian football and I’m confident that this is a team that can take Nigerian football to a greater height.”
He further praised the players for their sturdy perseverance despite some poor officiating particularly that controversial penalty awarded in favour of the Junior Menas.
“I’m happy that you kept your cool despite all the nonsense we saw here today, “he advised as the chairman of the NFF’s Referees’ Committee. “I want you to maintain this good attitude because some of these referees would want to frustrate you but I’m so happy you played good football and conducted yourself very well.
According to Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, the Director of competitions at the NFF, the typical fine display of the Golden Eaglets is like a sweetened drug: “I’m totally overwhelmed with the performance of this team against Niger today. This is a good team in the making and my recommendation to Nigerians is that if you want to see good football, go and watch the national under-17 team.”
Similarly, Dr. Emmanuel Ikpeme who has seen the Golden Eaglets on several occasions at their base in Calabar said he was not the least surprised about their enchanting display against Niger.
“You know I’m happy watching this team but today, I’m happier because one of the programmes put in place by the NFF is working,” said Ikpeme, who psyched the players up with some psychological tablets before the game. “Players were sourced from soccer academies and the National Under-15 team. Some of these players had also featured for the National Under-13 team too and were camped them in Calabar to prepare for their qualifiers. I’m so delighted that everything is going well with this team.”
Meanwhile, the Golden Eaglets are expected back in Abuja Monday morning aboard Asky Airlines en route to their camp in Calabar on Tuesday to continue preparations for the second leg against Niger to be played on September 22.
Also, Etubom  Paul  Bassey, foremost Nigeria’s  sports journalist  has made a  donation of N100,000 to the team’s technical crew.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) Match Commissioner and General Coordinator, said his ‘widows' mite’ was borne out of the fact that the players would not have raised their game to such an excellent level without conscious coaching guidance.
Bassey who spoke to the players in the dressing room, noted that there is indeed hope for Nigerian football if these players are nurtured, begging the technical crew  to keep them focussed on the  main goal of being  good players and a responsible citizen.
“When I heard that you were beating local teams 9-0, 7-0 6-0 in Calabar, I was not impressed,” he said. “Dr. Ikpeme said to me that we have a good team but my response was that I was not impressed.
“But when you played Rwanda and won convincingly, I said maybe because that was your first real test, you had to roll out the tank to kill Rwanda. My mind was a bit at rest but today, you made me so happy.”
Bassey noted that his happiness was not borne out of the fact that the Golden Eaglets scored four goals but their compelling display.
Said he: “I have watched football all my life and I can’t count the numbers but today, I saw my best game ever. I saw a team that played like a family. I saw young boys who were enjoying themselves but please, don’t carry this into your heads. Even if you had won 2-1 today, it would have been immaterial because I didn’t come to see the score line. I came to watch a team that has a future and I’m thoroughly impressed. This is just the beginning for you. I’m so happy with all of you. I’m happy that I’m part of this delegation to Niamey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment